Sunday, September 17, 2006

Getting pulled

Unfortunately not the kind you're probably thinking.

Whilst I’m on the subject of driving (and don’t for one minute presume that I am finished with the subject) I came across this post today. It brought to mind the times that I have been pulled over by the police myself. It feels like it has happened loads of times, but when I think about it it’s probably only ever happened to me twice. I don't remember feeling nervous on either occasion, because I knew I hadn't done anything wrong.

One time I was driving home at night from the hospital which was in the next town. There was a car driving so close behind me that all I could see were the headlights. I was really annoyed because for a start I hate it when people drive so close behind me – it’s stupid, and it’s dangerous – but also I felt like the other driver was trying to push me to drive faster all the time. As previously mentioned, the route home takes me through several changes of speed limits, and the car I had at the time (Honda Legend) had fast acceleration - so I used it. Each time I made sure I stuck to whatever the limit was; not that I wouldn’t normally, but I really wanted to make the point to this idiot that I was quite capable of going faster if I wanted to, I just didn't want to, and he wasn’t going to intimidate me into breaking the law. I was really surprised that he was actually able to keep up, because previously when I have had a "boy racer" pushing me from behind to go faster, and then I've reached a single carriageway and hit the accelerator, the car behind has become nothing more than a speck in the rear view mirror. It’s only when I went round a roundabout that I got a glimpse of the car behind and saw that it was a police car! A short while later the officer pulled me over. It was very strange as all he did was look over the car with his torch and then send me on my way.

Now, my husband has been pulled over loads of times. He used to work for Royal Mail which meant leaving for work anytime between 3am and 5am, and for some reason the police in our area felt that driving around at that time of the morning was “suspicious”. Each time that he was pulled over he was asked to produce his documents – his driving licence, certificate of insurance, and MOT. That’s why it seemed so strange when the officer that pulled me over didn’t ask for any of those things. Maybe he just liked my car and wanted to have a closer look?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We don't even (generally) have to get people to produce documents any more.

Driving licenses, insurance details, and MOT details are all available via the PNC and can be checked at the scene.

Mr Mans Wife said...

Ah ok, thanks for that Constable. You learn something new every day.

When I previously tried to relate this story to a police man he wouldn't have it that one of his colleagues would do such a thing. I'm sure most wouldn't, and I was shocked myself when I realised it was the police. I thought he was just another boy racer type. So I hope you're not offended by my comments.