Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Blogging bloggery bloggers

Taken from the expression “Smegging smeggery smegger” from British science fiction comedy "Red Dwarf"

I wish all I ever had to do was read blogs all day. I’ve come across some brilliant blogs, some extremely well written blogs, some hilarious blogs, and some fascinating blogs. Alas, I don’t seem to have time, as I actually have a life, and I’m trying to write a couple of blogs of my own. (Notice how I list writing blogs separately to having a life?)

Once you start writing a blog it seems to take over your life (at least it has with me). I find myself “writing” blogs in my head while I’m shopping, driving, having a bath, all sorts. Unfortunately by the time I get to sit down with my laptop I’ve forgotten what I wanted to write. It actually takes me ages to write an entry too, and then even when I’ve uploaded it I tend to go back and edit it a hundred times. I really liked writing when I was younger, and had a lot of encouragement from my English teacher at school, but I’ve not done any writing for about 17 years now. I used to find it so easy; the thoughts would just flow and my pen could hardly keep up with my brain, and now it takes me ages to just string one sentence together. Still, I have the same problem when I’m talking these days so that should be no surprise.

I wish I had the skill of some of these other bloggers. One of the best blogs I have read, if not the best, is that of Inspector Gadget. I hadn’t even come across his blog before until I read this post on Tom Reynolds blog. I took a look and couldn’t tear myself away from it. He has a fantastically witty style of writing that I can only dream of possessing. Unfortunately his superiors at work seem to have taken a disliking to some of the very honest comments he has made. Personally I don’t understand the politics behind all this sort of thing, and I don’t really care, I just think this is a very interesting and funny blog. It doesn’t seem “damaging” to police image to me in any way at all; I haven’t learnt any shocking secrets about police policies. He just points out the ironies of how the system works, which most of us know about anyway. If he is forced to delete his blog it will be a great loss, not just to the blogging community but to literature - full stop. I sincerely hope that he is able to continue.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have comments turned off deliberately? I ask because another blog I read (PC Bloggs) didn't realise she had to manually approve each comment.

Anyway, just in case I thought I'd let you know that comments are not being displayed.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I read all those blogs too!

Mr Mans Wife said...

Thank you, yes I did realise. It's simply because I'm new to blogging and was a little insecure about my writing and didn't want people to post something like "Don't give up your day job love cos your blog is crap"! Also it means that I get notification when people have commented, so I can take an interest in each post rather than me possibly not noticing it and the person being ignored. Do you think I should take it off then?

By the way your other comment is displayed now, I received an email notification this morning. Thank you.

Mr Mans Wife said...

Hi Randomgal, yeah they're great aren't they? Thanks for your comment.

Going back to moderating comments - I read a little more about it and it appears that I can still delete offensive comments and still get email notification if I allow comments to be displayed automatically, so I have changed the setting now. Thanks for prompting me to think about this Constable.

Rhea said...

Oh I am so glad that I'm not the only one who walks down the road writing a post in their head! I've even taken to carrying a note book in my hand bag in case inspiration strikes (rare!).

Mr Mans Wife said...

Hmmm, I've thought about this too Rhea, but unfortunately it's not practical whilst driving! (or having a bath for that matter!)