Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Apparently there's one born every minute - I seem to meet one every minute

I can’t believe how many stupid people you can come across in one short journey to the local supermarket. I shouldn’t be surprised; the trip combines the two areas of life where most stupid people can be found – driving and shopping – although to be honest the shopping part was surprisingly lacking in stupid people tonight.

On my way there I approach a chicane in the road, with which I have “priority over traffic” – apparently there is no such thing as “right of way” any more. Whatever, they should still stop and let me through. You always get some bright spark who thinks he can “just nip through” before you reach it, but four cars in a row, forcing me to stop and wait for them?

I get to the end of that road and for once the adjoining road is completely clear for me to pull out into – except for one dithery person who I am waiting on to get out of my way and turn into the road that I am turning out of. This is a very wide junction so 1mph wasn’t entirely necessary.

So, once I finally get onto that road, further along I spot someone waiting at a junction on the left with no lights on, and it was dark. I flash them, and I don’t mean a flash flash, as in “After you”, I mean a flash flash flash flash flash flash flash, as in “It’s dark. Put your flippin’ lights on”. So he starts pulling out of the junction. A few more flashes and he gets the hint, so he’s not quite as stupid as the person (who I know but won’t name) who drove halfway across town with one of her doors open, with me following behind causing every epileptic in town to go into a seizure. I finally had to knock on her window when she had stopped at some traffic lights, which nearly gave her a heart attack. I find it very worrying that some drivers are so unaware of what is going on outside their own vehicle; if the person behind me got out of their car and started heading towards mine I think I would notice.

Anyway, I finally get to the supermarket car park and I’m halfway into a parking space when the person in the space next to it flings their car door wide open. Is it only me that this happens to, because this isn’t the first time? Sometimes the person will realise what they have done and pull the door in to allow you to park, but this person tonight?... There were plenty of spaces so I just parked somewhere else.

All of that in one 5 minute journey. Thank goodness I wasn’t going anywhere further away.

No comments: