Friday, October 27, 2006

Relight my fire

A disco hit sung originally by Dan Hartman in 1979 featuring Loleatta Holloway, but best known as sung by British boy band “Take That” and Lulu in 1993. Dan Hartman died in 1994 from brain cancer.

As it’s our anniversary, and the weather has turned decidedly wintry, I thought I’d light our open fire tonight for a cosy romantic evening in. To make the job cleaner, quicker, and easier, I sometimes buy these “Home Fire Logs” which come wrapped in paper, and you simply place the whole thing on the grate and light the paper at each end. Sounds very “clean, quick, and easy” doesn’t it? Except the paper kept going out. So I placed a lit “fire lighter” at each end, which are supposed to be used to aid lighting a more conventional log or coal fire – and those bloomin’ things went out as well! Mr Man made a very valid point that “it makes you wonder how on earth home fires start, when you can’t even start one deliberately!”

It's just as well "I've got my love to keep me warm"*


*Written by Irving Berlin and sung by just about everybody, including Billie Holiday. Probably first performed about 1937.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a very happy anniversary guys

Mr Mans Wife said...

Ahh, thanks Aides. (Looks better than calling you "Aids" doesn't it? Hehehe)

Anonymous said...

lol yes indeed!