Thursday, February 08, 2007

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!

Lyric written by Sammy Cahn and music by Jule Styne in 1945. First recorded by Vaughn Monroe in 1946. Although traditionally thought of as a Christmas song, the lyrics in this love song contain no mention of Christmas at all.

“Oh, the weather outside is frightful
But the fire is so delightful…”



Ahh… is there anything better than listening to some old tunes while curling up by an open fire?


“And since we’ve no place to go…”

Actually, it's not so much having no place to go, but Mr Man has banned me from driving in this weather in case I have an accident. Also I received an email from a friend the other day asking me: “Have you crashed into anyone recently?” Blimey, knock down one telegraph poll and you never hear the end of it! Still, if I know I won’t be driving it means I can relax with a glass of Bailey’s by the fire, so…

“Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!”


I'm afraid I have to disagree with our friend Tom Reynolds (sorry Tom), who thinks it's stupid that schools close for the day and that the whole country comes to a standstill when it snows. It seems to snow much less than I remember as a child. I don’t think it snows often enough in this country for people to really know how to cope with it, and people certainly don’t know how to drive in it. I think everywhere should close for the day and kids should be able to stay home from school and make the most of the snow while it lasts. He's just jealous because his brother (who is a teacher) got a day off work and he didn't!

Spare a thought for people who have to go out and work in it too – like our postmen/women. Imagine them walking around in it for two or three hours while it’s still snowing; getting wet and cold, and trying to stay upright with a heavy bag of mail on their back.

7 comments:

Calamity Jane said...

Where I work (an American occupied RAF base) they shut everything down and send all but the most essential personnel home ... fortunately I'm not considered mission-essential :-)

Mr Mans Wife said...

You see? That's how it should be! And I'm sure you feel much happier for having had a day off work don't you?

I think days with snow should be declared national holidays and people who have to work should get extra pay!

Calamity Jane said...

Yes but ... imagine all those Americans on the road at the same time as you (shudders)

Mr Mans Wife said...

Lol, whose safetly are you concerned for - mine or theirs??

Calamity Jane said...

Oh trust me, they're more of a threat to you than you are to them.

Angela said...

We get into such a hoohar about sending the kids home for a day. Really, one day of school, evne two, isn't going to make a great deal of difference to their education. I'm all for snow days, I think I remember one dayw hen I was a child being sent home from school.

I agree, we get snow so infrequently that we jsut aren't prepared for it. I wasn't working on thursday and very glad of it. You can't beat being tucked up in the warm looking at the snow outside.

Mr Mans Wife said...

I agree Angela. Making a snowman in the garden and then coming into the warm to sit by the fire with a mug of hot soup.... Much better than sitting in a freezing cold classroom with your wet coat on trying to concentrate!