Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Death Wail over Whale Death

I’ve just read about a 43foot dead whale that has washed up on a beach, and the options that supposed “experts” are considering to dispose of the body.

Believe it or not, one option that is being considered, according to the article, is to bury it on the beach. I don’t know about you, but I don’t fancy sitting on a grave site to eat my picnic.

Another option, which thankfully has been ruled out, is to use explosives to destroy the body. I can’t even believe that this option was even given serious consideration.

What has happened to common sense these days? Just tow the blinkin’ thing back out to sea and let nature take its course. You'd think a whale had never died before. What the hell do they think normally happens when a whale dies?

9 comments:

Angela said...

That conjoured up unpleasant images of bits of whale being blown into the air and scattered over the beach. I'm not experienced with what happens when you try to blow up a whale but I can't imagine it would be good!

I can just imagine a council meeting around a table and someone pipes up "We could blow it up", there's a moment of silence when everyone else looks at the wally before resuming conversation.

Mr Mans Wife said...

Lol, that comment about the council meeting made me laugh!

I had the same unpleasant images Angela. How can that even be a serious option?

Angela said...

Maybe the person suggesting it was at the wrong meeting? Perhaps he was supposed to be at the "Unexploded WW2 bomb found in local street" meeting and wondered why people were talking about burying it on a beach.

I have procrastination down to a fine art.

Unknown said...

they tried that in the states, what a mess, vidio in youtube i think

Trainee Paramedic said...

Its true, i watched the exploding whale video while in Uni (we were on a break), and the pieces ended up miles away and some smashed car windows. Luckily no-one was hurt. As for sitting on the beach, you could now do it in winter with all that blubber to keep you warm!

Mr Mans Wife said...

Angela, I didn't get the bit about the procrastination, but it's been a long day for me so that may be why.

Thanks for that Ian and TP, I think I'll give the viewing of that one a miss!

Why would people even consider that as an option though? Didn't it occur to them that there would be huge pieces of blubber flying around and knocking people out? Death by blubber - eugh that's so gross.

Welcome to the blog Ian, and thanks for posting.

Angela said...

I was procrastinating - avoiding my essay, letting my mind wander off to possible scenario's for the suggestion!

Mr Mans Wife said...

Ahh I see! Tut tut! And it looks like you're still doing it! Or have you finished now?

Angela said...

I did some work! Honestly! But I spoke to the module leader and we agreed that I would defer to take the pressure off a little. As long as I pass it on the first attempt it's not a disadvantage. *fingers crossed*