Friday, November 03, 2006

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Blogosphere

Have you ever tried clicking that little button in the top right hand corner entitled “next blog”? I sat here clicking it the other night, and this is what I found, in descending order from the most numerous:

Most of the Blogs were foreign and I couldn’t understand a word.

Another high percentage were actually advertising products or services. I suppose signing up for a Blog is an ideal way of getting free web space with all of the site design completed for you – you just have to type your text and upload an image of what you are selling.

Lots of people use Blogs to keep family and friends updated on their travelling adventures if they decide to take a trip oversees. These include lots of photographs. They're like a cyber postcard which has numerous advantages: 1. It "arrives" much quicker, 2. It only has to be "posted" once for everybody, rather than writing and posting serveral cards to different people in the persons address book, 3. The cyber postcard can be updated everyday, 4. Family can even "post" back in the comments section, although I thought people went away to avoid having to talk to family members for a while?

Some people use Blogs just as a way of sharing with people a hobby that they enjoy, such as classic cars, or even clothes shopping, again with lots of photographs.

A few people actually use Blogs as a diary strangely enough.

And then there are classics such as this.

Also I came across this Blog which I thought was an unbelievably cute idea, bringing out the very girly side of me. "I want one! I want one!" And incidentally this is where my first “Button” came from. But also it raises the very serious issue of awareness for people who struggle on a day to day basis with these kinds of “invisible” illnesses.

I know there are many other types of Blog, but these are the ones which I personally came across during my cyber travels… I hope the links compensate for my lack of photographs of cyber space.

2 comments:

Knittah said...

Thanks for being a Swatchy regular! We have some cool travels coming up, so stay tuned!

Mr Mans Wife said...

Hi Knittah, good to see you're up and able to post.

I check every day to see what Swatchy, Swatchy grrl, and Nori have been up to! I love reading their little messages to each other, it's so cute! And it's interesting to see where they have been. If Swatchy ever comes over for a visit to the UK I'd love to meet him and Swatchy grrl. (Did those two hit it off? Will there ever be a wedding do you think?)