Sunday, November 26, 2006

“Early to bed early to rise…”

Proverb: “Early to bed early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise” Penned by US author Benjamin Franklin in “Poor Richard’s Almanack” 1753.

...2am is not exactly what I had in mind though.

One day seems to be blurring into the next at the moment; my disrupted sleep pattern means I’m never quite sure what day it is. Friday night I tossed and turned until some time past 4:30 Saturday morning, which was the last time I looked at the clock, and I had my alarm set for 10am. That’s not very early I know, but early for me, and especially considering I’d only had half the amount of sleep that I usually need.

Due to not being able to sleep well at night I’ve been sleeping in very late during the day time. People often make the amazingly simplistic suggestion of getting up earlier in the day and then forcing myself to stay up all day, to force my body clock to “reset” itself. That’s a brilliant idea. Why didn’t I think of that? That wasn’t my reason for forcing myself out of bed at 10am after about only 5 hours sleep, but I had hoped that after propping my eyelids open with match sticks all day I would be tired enough to sleep through the night by Saturday evening. Unfortunately sleep problems are never quite as simple as that.

Saturday night I went to bed at some time around 11pm, which I thought was a reasonable time – not too early, not too late. Then at 1:56am, after about only 3 hours sleep, my eyes pinged open like the doors of a department store elevator:

“Ground floor: Perfumery, stationary, and leather goods, wigs and haberdashery, kitchenware and food. Going up . . .” Doo do dodo doo… Doo do dodo doo… *

And here I am: completely exhausted but wide awake.

Man alive, I feel like death.



* Lyrics of the theme tune to “Are you being served” – a British TV comedy which aired from 1972 - 1985


3 comments:

Mr Mans Wife said...

Nah, I can't be bothered. I've gone through these phases before and they sort themselves out after a while - until the next time.

One time when I seriously thought I was going to lose my sanity I turned to sleeping pills in desperation, but they just left me feeling groggy the next day.

I first had sleep problems in 1993 and I could only sleep for 1 hour at a time. I remember waking up one day and I thought it was fantastic that I had slept for 4 hours in a row! At least I'm not that bad now.

Anyway, thank you for your "sleep" wishes!

Aiders or Aider1st said...

I hate them nights that I can't sleep.. Is it an age thing?

Mr Mans Wife said...

An age thing? What are you trying to say? Speak for yourself you cheeky mare! :P