Friday, May 11, 2007

Daydream Believer

Roberta!” shouted the teacher, forcing me to turn my attention to her from outside the window. With the hum drum chitter chatter of a classroom full of 7 year olds it was easy to drift away.

There was one word that linked every school report I ever had – Daydreamer. It wasn’t true though. I wasn’t so much daydreaming as day… sleeping... with my eyes open. I used to go into a trance like state with my eyes fixed on whatever was right in front of me, but not really seeing what was there at all. It’s a habit I’ve carried right into my adulthood, caused mainly by lack of sleep.

I remember when I was in my teens, sitting on the floor enjoying a game of cards with a male friend of mine. While he spent some time taking his turn I kind of drifted off into one of my trances. Looking up from his cards he noticed where my eyes were resting and suddenly moved to cross his legs, and it’s only then that I realised I was staring at his crotch. Neither of us said a word, I just took my turn and we continued playing cards, and it’s never been mentioned to this day. God knows what he thought. I wonder if he still remembers it.

I still do it now – go into trances I mean, not stare at my friends’ crotch. The worst time of course is when I’m driving...



Although written by John Stewart from the folk group The Kingston Trio, Daydream Believer was originally recorded by The Monkeys, providing them with their last #1 hit in 1967.

6 comments:

Aiders or Aider1st said...

LOL poor guy!

Mr Mans Wife said...

Poor guy? How do you think I felt? I didn't do it on purpose you know! :)

Catherine said...

I do something very similar, but luckily never stared at someone's crotch. I may have spaced off and stared at someone's butt though (but hopefully no breasts)!

Mr Mans Wife said...

I know, imagine how embarrassing that would be!

Anonymous said...

Are you sure you weren't just using it as an excuse?

Mr Mans Wife said...

Mr Busy! What sort of a girl do you think I am?!

*Looks around to make sure no one is listening* Well, maybe subconsciously :)